Thursday, December 1, 2011

How to Cut a Butternut Squash

This may seem obvious to some, but it was not to me. I can’t remember where I read about this, but it was a revelation to me. I used to buy the pre-cut squash from Costco; it always felt slick, bordering on slimy. I dealt with it by washing it, but it bugged me nonetheless. Butternut is my favorite winter squash and it has been on sale lately. My husband likes it in risotto, I love it in soup, my kids like it with tortellini which is how we had last night. It literally took me 5 minutes to peel, seed and cut up the squash – simple!

Here’s how: Use your vegetable peeler!! Yup, that’s the secret. I was always in danger of amputating my fingers when I used a knife and in the process threw away most of the squash. This is so much easer. Remember to cut the top and bottom off first, stand squash on its bottom and split it in half with a chopping knife, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then peel the squash with your carrot (vegetable) peeler. Now chop and use it how you like best.

No comments:

Post a Comment